|In order to replace its pre war and wartime lowbridge buses London
Transport purchased a quantity of standard 'provincial' AEC Regent III vehicles with
Weymann bodies. These came in two batches. the first RLH 1-20 were built for Midland
General Omnibus Company but were surplus to requirements when this company was purchased
by the British Transport Commission.
20 were initially painted green and replaced ST's in the Country area. The remaining
lowbridge buses were replaced by a further batch of 56 almost identical vehicles in 1952.
RLH 21-53 were painted green for country
are use the remainder RLH 54-76 were red. From 1955-58 the following were repainted red.
RLH 1, 7, 9, 22, 23, 29, 49, 52.
From June 1965 repaints received fake grey
bands instead of cream and the class was fitted with flashing trafficators in 1959/60.
Initial garage allocations were;
Country; Godstone, Guildford,
Addlestone, East Grinstead and Amersham.
Central; Harrow Weald and Merton.
Apart from the regular lowbridge routes
vehicles were allocated to highbridge routes or as reliefs when available.
Destination Transfers are available for
127, 128, 230, 248, 336, 410, 436a, 461a
For further information the London
RLH Remembered by Peter Gascoigne published by Roadmaster Publishing is